Langley’s Kwantlen Polytechnic University was named the best in North America at the recent U.S. Open College Beer Championship, winning two golds and silver for its beer.
Fourteen colleges and universities from the U.S. and Canada participated in the event with KPU’s brewing program earning the coveted Grand National Championship as the college that brews the best beers in North America. KPU won gold for its 50/50 Hefe (Belgian) and Fruity and the Yeast New England India Pale Ale (Open), as well as a silver for its Storm Stout (Stout).
The KPU students responsible for the school’s championship performance were Joe Mallinson, Kyle Grohs, Danilo Chiga, Felipe Freire, Wes Bain and Daryl McDonald, under the guidance of professor Alek Egi.
U.S. Open College Beer Championship is open to all colleges and universities that teach brewing courses, to help determine the best future brewers in North America. This year’s competition had five categories: Belgian, Bavarian, Stout, IPA and Open, where students could enter any style of beer they wanted to brew.
2019 U.S. Open College Beer Championship full results
1. Kwantlen Polytechnic University, British Columbia
2. Schoolcraft College, Michigan3. TIE: Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Michigan; Auburn University, Alabama; Central Michigan University, Michigan
Category 1 – Belgian
- Gold – American Harvest Belgian Pale – Schoolcraft College, Michigan
- Silver – Across the Pond Belgian Pale – Auburn University, Alabama
- Bronze – Spartan Saison – Michigan State University, Michigan
Category 2 – Bavarian
- Gold – 50/50 Hefe – Kwantlen Polytechnic University, British Columbia
- Silver – Muncher Dunkel – Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Michigan
- Bronze – Willis Weizen – Auburn University, Alabama
Category 3 – Stout
- Gold – British Imperial Stout – Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Michigan
- Silver – Storm Stout – Kwantlen Polytechnic University, British Columbia
- Bronze – Smurf Stout – Niagara College, Ontario
- Bronze – Peanut Butter Stout – Auburn University, Alabama
Category 4 – IPA
- Gold – Dragon Energy Imperial IPA – Central Michigan University – Michigan
- Silver – Haggerty IPA – Schoolcraft College, Michigan
- Bronze – Cleaver IPA – Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
Category 5 – Open
- Gold – Fruity and the Yeast NE IPA – Kwantlen Polytechnic University, British Columbia
- Silver – Citrus Siege NE IPA – Central Michigan University, Michigan
- Bronze – Voice of Reason APA – Auburn University, Alabama